Nordwand II

31 lip 2015 - 00:28:26
Sasha DiGiulian

Here we are, Switzerland! Carlo Traversi and I will be trying "La Paciencia." The climb is on the North Face of the Eiger. Ueli Steck has done the first ascent with Stefan Siegrist. Following ascentionists of this route include David Lama and Dave McLeod+Calum Muskett.

The route is considered to be the hardest free climb on the Eiger.

We have allotted a few weeks to stay in Switzerland and to try it. We have hopes of doing the climb, but you never know what can happen: all we can do is try. Factors we will face include weather predominantly.

Leading up to this project I have been climbing outside almost everyday, and most recently climbing and hiking in Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite CA. While this setting is not like the Eiger, at least I have been able to climb at elevation (9,000feet) and train my technique on difficult granite. The Eiger climb is strong limestone and highly technical.

The most similar experience to the Eiger I will have had is my time in the Dolomites, Italy, climbing "Bellavista." I am new to alpine climbing and this is a frontier in my career I would like to pursue.

I am inspired by the daunting beauty of the mountain, and I am nervous about the task in front of us. Though, I believe it is important to go forward with all of my heart and effort while maintaining open, clear eyes and a strong vigilance.

I am not afraid of failure because I know that failing, for me, would have been not trying. We are past the point of failure for this project: we are going for it. The clear reward is the summit, but also our safety, our learning experience, and the inevitable adventure that is about to ensue. Stay tuned!

Hallelujah. Godspeed.

....Gleba pod drogą jest płaska, porośnięta trawą i bez kamieni.
Podziel się:
Temat Autor Wysłane

» Nordwand II

ROCKDUDE 31 lip 2015 - 00:28:26